Utility operators are responsible for providing markings for public utilities they own near your designated project area by your specified start date.
Here is color of the paint and flags that could be near your project area and what they mean.
- White – is for the area you plan to dig for your project
- Pink – is for the Temporary Survey
- Red – is for Electric
- Yellow – is for the Gas, Oil, Steam and Petroleum lines
- Orange – is for the Communications or TV line
- Blue – is for Water
- Purple – is for Radioactive Materials, Reclaimed Water, Irrigation and Slurry lines
- Green – is for Sewer and Drain lines
It is important to know what the flags mean, but it’s even more important to keep children playing with flags. It may seem like a fun toy, but it could have vital consequences if removed before any work has been started.
It’s also important to remember that not all utilities will be marked on your property, as some utilities are owned by the property owner, not the utility company. These are considered private utilities. Click here to learn more about private utilities.
If you have any questions, contact your local Field Representative.